Thursday, August 9, 2007

days 2,3...TYPHOON!!

3 PM local time: Yes, folks we are in the middle of a typhoon warning (just after finishing the test cross country morning). If this level 8 typhoon (equivalent to a severe 50-60 mph thunderstorm with tons of rain) hits all business and acitivities stop. We do not know what will happen this afternoon for the horse inspection...luckily they do have an indoor arena for us to use today. We are just waiting to hear what is up...

The morning at the cross country test was so wet you wouldn't believe it. It dumped buckets of rain on the whole work force. We used golf carts (as horses) for the fence judges and medical staff etc. to judge. Very interesting morning. There were many comunication problems what with the rain and all, language problems too, with all the radios and officials etc. That is what we are testing!

The competition sites are really superb. The main arena is right in the middle of town at the end of the huge racecourse. Great footing, the stables are air conditioned and the warm up rings are plentiful and really close to the barns and main arena. The sound system is huge and sounds great...I will have to tell that guy at Speakeasy that he will have to purchase a new and upgraded system now!! The Chinese have spent a lot of money on the right things here and the staff is all very helpful and willing to make this a wonderful weekend. It's just too bad about the weather. Just think of a huge racecourse on the Mall in DC and then attach a 5000 seat stadium with lights and all at the end of it. The racecourse (all grass track) has seating for over 40,000 and they tell me at each day of racing (EACH DAY) the bettting gross is the same as week of racing at one of our tracks! Can you imaging the millions?

The hotel accomodations are really nice and the food here is really great. I have not had a bad meal yet...even at the horse show! A full service Chinese menu and all....I was even complimented by our boss on my ease of use of chopsticks. Thanks Suzanne....

The one thing that I have not been able to fix yet is the time change. Sleeping and eating are a real challenge when you 1)wake up at 2 am and cannot get back to sleep, and 2) find out that I can eat a huge breakfast (when I usually don't have any at home). The 12hr time change is not easy to adjust to...maybe some more Chinese beer tonight will help. Yes, let's sit out on the veranda, watch the typhoon and chill!

For my golf guys: the cross country course is situated on one of the prettiest golf courses I have seen, and yes, it kills me to see horses galloping on this wonderfully green and lush golf course. New meaning to long drive! Wait till they see what happens after Sunday....divot and muddy central.

Well, I have to go see what's up....well, looking out at the main ring, right now, they have just removed (yes removed) the entire dressage arena...lock stock and barrel. I think we are done for the day my friends. Well, I will update you later if I can. I think they take this typhoon stuff seriously...well, I float away till later.

Brian

1 comment:

Katie said...

By the time you get used to the 12 hour difference, you'll be home - and facing another bout of jet lag!

Have fun! I'm envious!!

Katie